Thursday, May 8, 2008

Tutoring/Mentoring

Do I really enjoy tutoring and mentoring? I do derive satisfaction when my student understands a concept, or see an idea from a new viewpoint from before. At those points in time, I am truly happy, but am I on the whole? Yesterday I had an interview for a Residential Teaching Assistant (RTA) position at the engineering school's summer camp for high school students to be held in July. I was asked questions about why I've done so much tutoring and mentoring and where I see myself going with that. I couldn't answer that question well, because I really am not sure. Sometimes I wonder why I tutor. The pay isn't sufficient to justify the value of my time (especially during finals week).. so do I derive sufficient utility to continue with tutoring next year? My mum has been on my case to focus on my studies, but I'm really bad at that. I don't think the amount of time commitment has much to do with how well I focus, as I could easily be unproductive with my free time when I don't see the need to do something then and there. :P I love working on the biodiesel project with Saul High School though. Consistent contact with young curious minds.. about something chemical engineering related. It's almost a perfect match! :) Hopefully the plan to design a reactor works out next semester. We haven't had a great batch of diesel thus far probably due to less than precise laboratory equipment in the high school chemistry lab. On our very first visit to Saul we actually worked in the work shop (its an agricultural charter school).. It was fun nevertheless. :)

Anyways I seem to be rambling off my initial topic.. I've been tutoring a lot in the past weeks. End of semester tutoring with the tutoring center, as well as private tutoring (this gal emailed me to ask if I would help her). I guess I don't really think that the extra time would be better spent studying (I wouldn't exactly be efficient from 10pm-2am), but I guess staying up to tutor does make me tired the next day, and therefore be less inclined to focus on the work at hand. Today, for example, I studied for something like 2 hrs in the day (I was rudely awoken after 5 hrs of sleep by a wrong number call and was sleepy) and proceeded to drag russ out on an "excursion" downtown for food and got tempted by ben thereafter to go shopping at the nearby mall. The traffic there and back was horrendous, but I got a couple of good buys. A hoodie, a sweater and a shirt dress for $30 isn't bad at all. I can't wait to go outlet shopping after finals!

In any case, I've only cost accounting and international financial markets left. It's liberating to know that I'm DONE with 5 out of my 7 courses. :D Never again, I swear. 7 courses is not fun. Unless of course, I decide to do both accounting and finance concentrations.. That's a choice I'd leave to senior year.

No comments: